Friday, September 12, 2008

A Hard Call

Yesterday I got one of those calls that I've become accustomed to-but still hate it. I was running late, of course and then it came, "Hey, Pops has been having seizures for the past 45 minutes. The ambulance in on their way and Ma wants you to meet them at the hospital". My father is living with Alzheimer's and a sudden, agressive onset of epilepsy.

When I arrived at the ER I was directed to his room, room number seven. How ironic? I walked through the glass doors to see my father, daddy, Pops, laying under a thin white hospital sheet in a fetal position. He looked so peaceful, so unaware. I walked over to him and kissed his forehead and then quickly wiped my tear that had fallen on his cheek, for fear that I might wake him.

At that moment I cursed this condition called Alzheimer's. I hate to even verbalize it's name. It came into my life four and half years ago and has robbed me of one of my most loving, trusting, comforting relationships I have ever had. But it also taught me some life lessons' such as: tomorrow is never promised, say I love you as much as you can stand and as often as you can say it to those you really care about, take time out to share with your parent/parents-just the two of you, smile often, laugh as hard as you can for as long as you can. And most of all, it, Alzheimer's has taught me that even though my father can no longer remember some things, I can and that to help me get through that I need to remember as much as I can and cherish those memories.

Until later, remember life can be as beautiful as you make it.

Bonita Sistah

1 comment:

Precious Palette said...

Alzheimer's is such a heartbreaking disease. Even though the disease has touched my family, I cannot say I understand how you feel because I wasn't very close with those relatives. But I will continue to pray for your father and the family, and that God will provide endless comfort for you.