Sunday, September 14, 2008

Getting To Know My Text Style (textile for the slower ones)

Has anyone else got caught up in the whirl wind of texting? Now that I've added unlimited texting I'm sure my friends, colleagues, family, and acquaintances' heads sometimes spin with the randomness of messages I send.

I hit them with anything from a saying or idea I've come up with, the latest on current news events, Scriptura, or just a good morning. I keep up with my friends' days and whatever is going on in their lives. It's a way to stay connected. If I think about it long enough-I'd say I'm slightly addicted. I guess that's somewhat oxymoronic like "kinda pregnant".

Okay, but this addiction has been used for both good and evil. Most recently the evil won out. It reminded me of how nice it is to be somewhat disconnected from some things and now, some people.

This weekend, while caught in the middle of trying to sort out the pick up of my children's furniture and figuring out who would watch them while I worked my shifts of 8p-am (sat) and 3p-11p (sun), this texting thing came in handy.

As some single custodial parents have experienced, dealing with the non-custodial parent can prove to be as trying as pulling an abcessed widsdom tooth which has broken, out of your mouth.

In the ideal world, both parents come together for the good of the child/children, but in my world, my reality has been that one or both cannot or will not put aside their own hurt, guilt, pain, shame, selfishness, basically ego to make it work.

Right you guessed it! I, once again trying to forge an allegiance with their father texted him to see if he would be willing to do one or the other, but all along banking that we would handle both.

"Why didn't she just call and ask him, what's up with texting him?"

Glad you asked! Texting him as been the main way for us to communicate because he doesn't like hearing my voice. Could he just hit delete and never read my texts? Yeah, he could, but the incessant curiousity that we humans have would not allow him to just hit delete and then began the WAR OF THE ROSES (text style).

I won't go into the sordid details (you'll have to read my novel,
at the end of the day to get 'em. But I will say this much, it's interesting how powerful this texting thing can be. He called me as soon as received my first text, breaking his control of keeping his distance from me-ALTHOUGH I DID NOT AND WOULD NOT ANSWER IT. It (the texts) allowed me to say things to him that he probably wouldn't have stayed on the phone to listen to. Not that he actually heard what I was saying, but just the freedom I got from actually communicating with him, whether it be fruitful or not.

I did declare after that bout of hurling texts back and forth, that I would no longer succomb to texting as the main form of communication between the two of us. I guess that's the next topic my counselor and I will get a handle on. The Art of Communicating, sounds like a required freshman textbook from college.

I digress,

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Gorgeous here!!! I have enjoyed your blog. Makes me think about doing something like this because there is so much I have to say. Still trying to step into the world of technology. YUK!!!

But I can appreicate your styl-le-o! It is what makes US tick. I wish I could have someone who understands me and gets my contibution to the earth. I am definately in a different mind-frame since Hurricane Ike. We take life for granted and the self-truths we hold that are our gifts to the world.

I found that I am contiuously having to redine who I am. slowly reaching toward my golden desitnation of 33 yr old B-Day has opened my eyes to LIVING the life I have been destined and designaede to live. I hold my faith in the Lord I serve and in His ablility to restructure, refocus, regenerate, and reinvent those lost thoughts, ideologies, and desires I once held close.

Life has a way of breaking us down if we are not careful to surround our lives with positive energy. I have returned to a place of "earthiness". Meaning, enjoying this once and a lifetime trip through my NOW while looking at the beauty of The Almighy's creation!!!!

I appreciate your friendship and the self-truths you have shared wih me that let's me know I have been sent a ray of sunshine!

Smile, you are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara C.